Saturday, June 2, 2012

Chuck Norris' Tears

Goji Berries
Positive Thoughts
Lemon Juice
Vitamin C
Vegetarianism 
Meditation
Baking Soda
Laughing
Cooked Chinese Food
Raw Food
Veganism
Juice Fasts
"A guy I know."
Carbs Eliminated
Shark Liver
Garlic
No Sugar
Açaí Berries
Green Tea


Q: What do these things have in common?
A: They CURE cancer!

Oh, and... 


I'm reminded of an Aesop Fable from about 2, 500 years ago.

A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."
So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yoursu and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you, said an old man who had followed them "Please all, and you will please none."

Personally, I do believe a healthy diet, spirit, mind and exercise goes a long, long, long, way. I don't mention all the above to mock anyone. In fact, I appreciate that anyone would care enough to suggest something that they feel would help - if that's you no need to stop. There are somethings that have been suggested that have enriched and bettered my quality of life, for which I am thankful - truly. But clearly I can't please all. 


Dr. Wai called Friday afternoon. We were out at an acquaintances home when she called. Faith and I went into our host's master bedroom to take the call while Myrtle happily played with their kids. What an odd situation, being in near strangers bedroom taking notes on their bed. Yes, it's taken me a year to remember to take notes when my oncologist calls. 

Here's the skinny:
  • There have been changes in my hipbone, good or bad, they're not sure. 
  • They are suspicious it's myeloma (meaning perhaps the plasmacytoma developed into myeloma)
  • My last blood work though was fine, which is reassuring.  
The PET/CT Scan wasn't the end all, be all I thought it was, more in depth testing will be done over the following few weeks:
  • 24 hour urine sample (if you see me with a big orange jug, it's not OJ)
  • Head to toes x-ray
  • And the very definitive, end all, be all test - the bone marrow biopsy (ouch)
If myeloma is there then I get a new oncologist, Dr. McPherson.  I met him last year and I hope to never meet him again during his working hours. Who wants to be like everyone else with something so mainstream as myeloma? Lame, right?

Plus, I'd have to go to Vancouver for treatment. I'd rather spend my summer in Victoria, the most beautiful place in Canada. Well, I mean after Edmonton of course. 

Today's news wasn't the best. After the call I told Faith that I'm glad people are praying for me.   



As Einstein said:

There are only two ways to live your life. 
One is as though nothing is a miracle. 
The other is as though everything is a miracle.

I choose to see life as a miracle and prayer has brought miracles in my life. 


For example it's a miracle that despite the news today Faith and I had a date night tonight and had a great time - peace of mind (though finicky) in a time like this is a miracle. It was also miraculous I was able to follow the plot of Men In Black 3 without even seeing Men In Black 2.



Pray for healing, courage and comfort and please while you're at it feel free to send some our way too.


Onward and upward. 


P.S. If you see Chuck Norris make him cry.



2 comments:

  1. I have recently become a complete believer in miracles. My mum is one and so too are you. Love, hugs and positive thoughts always.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edmonton is actually quite lovely for 4 months of the year. Well, maybe more like 3...

    ReplyDelete